Body & Brain Yoga
What is Body & Brain Yoga?
With over 100 locations, Body & Brain yoga is a national leader in health, wellness, and integrative lifestyle education celebrating 20 years in the U.S. It originates from Korea where it has a rich 5,000-year-old history of holistic healing and mind-body practices. We provide a dynamic and comprehensive classes and programs to help you live a healthy and happy life. Our practice focuses on relaxation, energy awareness and core building to help you achieve amazing outcomes within you and your life.
HEALTHY BODY | connect with your body and feeling good
- Increase strength and flexibility
- Manage weight
- Relieve pain
- Improve sleep
- Boost the immune system
HAPPY MIND | you get to know your most authentic self through practicing compassion for your self and humanity
- Enhance focus and concentration
- Become centers and balanced
- Release stress
- Be free of anxiety and manage your emotions
- Increase mindfulness and compassion
BENEVOLENT SPIRIT | tap into your greatest potential to manifest your life to the one you love
- Discover inner peace, true confience, and joy
- Deepen mindfulness
- Radiate with love and human spirit
- Enhance relationships in your life
- Embody the "benevolent-for-all" or "Hong-Ik" spirit
Body & Brain Yoga classes consists of many different components comprehensive to the well-being of your mind, body, and spirit.
First we usually start with tapping and abdominal exercises during warm-up time and move on to opening up the meridian channels to reconnect with the body and release tension. These exercises consists of deep stretching, twisting, and joint rotation to improve circulation and alignment. The goal of these exercises is to stimulate the body's energy pathways, called meridians which will prepare you for the relaxation portion of the class called "Ji-Gam" and breathing postures.
Breathing postures and accumulation postures are designed to help find your peace as you go deep into your breath, and strengthen your core and your mind. You hold these postures in a relaxed and meditative state as you accumulate as your energy in your core. It can be physically challenging so it is a great opportunity to practice discipline and strength of your mind -- "my body is not me but mine".
"Ji-gam" is a energy meditation which is one of our signature components of our practice where you learn how to quiet the mind and consciously connect and feel energy. It will help you center yourself for a balanced brain as you will experience your mind and body syncing together harmoniously. It will naturally lead into, Dahn Mu, which is a energy dance in a meditative state where you can feel free in your mind and body as you naturally flow with the energy.
Belly Button Healing is an internal workout for your total body wellness which stimulates one of the most important reflexology point at the center of your body, the navel. It works to activate your inner organs and the brain at the same time as it increases circulation and relaxation with this exercise. It helps to balance our hormones and lift moods because our the production of serotonin (the happiness hormone) and dopamine (the joy hormone) is produced in the gut. There are also trillions of microbes in the gut and nerves that link directly to the brain. Because of this, our emotions can be more balanced and our mood can be visibly elevated from regular and mindful stimulation of the navel. Not only that, it helps relieve pain and tension in the body, clear toxins, tone vital organs, and help recover vitality of your physical and energy body.
Energy movement/ Vibration utilizes rhythmic energy movement which creates vibrations in the body to rebalance the energy of the brain. This class will include, Dahn Mu, tapping, moving to music, breathing, and meditation. Through rhythm and sound you will release stress and body tension and bring your brain into a balanced and calm state. At the end of the class, you will feel relaxed, energized, centered and grounded.
- Ban-gap-sum-ni-da means “happy to see you” and is usually said at the start of a class or when you walk in the door.
- Kam-sa-ham-ni-da means “thank you” and is usually said at the conclusion of a class or when you are leaving the center.
- Ah, shi-won-ha-da! We usually say this several times in class, and it means “feels so good!”
- Bowing is an important part of the etiquette in class. Every class begins and ends with a bow and greeting. When you bow, it prepares your mind to focus inward and encourages you to respect all life forms.
- Please take off your shoes when you enter and leave them by the door. This act represents “taking off” stress and unwanted emotions.
- Please come to class 10 minutes early for warm-up exercises.
- Try your best in the class but do not overdo it.
- Please do not wear strong perfume because some members are allergic to strong scents.
- If you have to leave class early, please stay near the back of the room and notify the staff before the class.